[GRASSLIST:5309] Re: Getting rainfall data from DEMs?

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue Jan 14 04:18:49 EST 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 02:05:04PM +0100, Antonio wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I just finished obtaining my DEM of an area of Central Italy and I now
> need to compute rainfall data. In this area there are 5 pluviometers at
> elevation from 620m a.s.l. ---> 900m a.s.l.
> The area is about 80Km^2 and the mean elevation is around 1050m a.s.l.
> I've obtained a rainfall ditribution with s.surf.idw npoints=1;
> s.surf.idw npoints=5; s.surf.rst (with non tunning).
> The last two give similar results (maybe due to the fact that I only
> have 5 meteo stations) even though I still have to learn how to tune
> s.surf.rst parameters.

You may want to look at this paper:

Hofierka J., Parajka J., Mitasova H., Mitas L., 2002, Multivariate
Interpolation of Precipitation Using Regularized Spline with Tension.
Transactions in GIS  6(2), pp. 135-150.

It uses s.vol.rst to perform a 3D interpolation including the DEM.

Best regards,

Markus Neteler