[GRASSLIST:5315] leveling and joining raster maps

John Harrop johnh at sjgeophysics.com
Wed Jan 15 14:51:17 EST 2003

We are currently leveling raster maps sliced from overlapping 3d models.
 Since the region being modeled is quite large it was broken into
several, overlapping blocks.  The structure visible in the models is
consistent but the absolute levels and ranges vary.  Although I don't
know of a grass utility that specifically helps with leveling adjacent
(slightly overlapping) raster maps I strongly suspect that grass users
have done this before.

Leveling could be done with some trial and error work in mapcalc to
scale and shift raster maps.  But I'm not sure about smoothing the
joins/seams.  I was thinking of overlapping 5 cell widths and merging
them 80-20 60-40 50-50 40-60 20-80 across the overlap.  Any suggestions
on doing this in grass? Any suggestions on other methods in grass?
 Would this be a useful utility for other users if it isn't supported?

Cheers,

John Harrop