[GRASSLIST:569] Grass installation

Luca lettereagricole at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 1 13:00:46 EDT 2003

Hallo everybody,

I'm Luca, an italian agronomist, (it's my first message,  today I' ve registered myself also to italian GRASS list).

I've two questions:

(1) I know there are some newsgroups about GRASS, but I don't know why they often don't work (in a lot of news servers), or are not utilized. anyone know anything about it?
They are:

info.grass.user
info.grass
info.grass.programmer
(the only news server I'have seen they are really provided is:
news.ttnet.net.tr; here everyone can write his messages too (not only read), but noone write on this newsgroups...could we begin?).
Besides the newsgroup I've found on Baylor's GRASS site:
gis.grass.grasslist doesn't work (I don't know why) and also does't work its server "news2.sinica.edu.tw:119".

I would like to utilize this resources too (it may more simple to get informations about GRASS).

(2) Second problem (my real problem): I'm a beginner.....
Yesterday I've downloaded GRASS 5.0.2  second time (first was tar.gz, second has been .rpm (grass-5.0.2-2.i386.rpm)).
I hoped raise to install GRASS, but Linux (Mandrake 9.1)
konsole said to me it required some libraries:
-gdal< =1.1.8
-libcrypto.so.2
-libfftw.so.2,
-libgdal.1.1.so,
-libgd.so.1.8,
-libpng.so.2,
-libssl.so.2.

I've tried to install more easily making click over the .rpm file, but he sai to me some things:

(a) The signature of the packet was wrong (the signature was made on monday 23.06.2003 with DSA key) - impossible to control the signature: public key not found;
(b)I tried to carry on with installation, but it follows a notice telling that there was a conflict .... after they were listed the libraries I listed before and besides an other:     libpq.so.2 .
I don't know what to do... i woul like to learn to utilize GRASS, but I finded very difficult to install it and I've found a lot to study it (in italian too), but nothing about installation.
If could be useful, I tell you my PC is a PENTIUM 4, 1.7 GHZ, RAM=640 Mb.
Perhaps difficulties  depend I'm a Linux beginner too... I hope anyone can tell me anything about it.. after it looks to me not so difficult to learn how to use GRASS.
Greetings to all you of GISGRASS list.

Luca, from Italy