[GRASSLIST:580] Re: Grass installation

Keith J. Forbes kforbes at gmx.net
Tue Jul 1 07:51:12 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 01 July 2003 06:00 pm, Luca wrote:
> Hallo everybody,
>
> I'm Luca, an italian agronomist, (it's my first message,  today I' ve
> registered myself also to italian GRASS list).
>
> I've two questions:
>
> (1) I know there are some newsgroups about GRASS, but I don't know why they
> often don't work (in a lot of news servers), or are not utilized. anyone
> know anything about it? They are:
>
> info.grass.user
> info.grass
> info.grass.programmer
> (the only news server I'have seen they are really provided is:
> news.ttnet.net.tr; here everyone can write his messages too (not only
> read), but noone write on this newsgroups...could we begin?). Besides the
> newsgroup I've found on Baylor's GRASS site:
> gis.grass.grasslist doesn't work (I don't know why) and also does't work
> its server "news2.sinica.edu.tw:119".
>
> I would like to utilize this resources too (it may more simple to get
> informations about GRASS).
>
> (2) Second problem (my real problem): I'm a beginner.....
> Yesterday I've downloaded GRASS 5.0.2  second time (first was tar.gz,
> second has been .rpm (grass-5.0.2-2.i386.rpm)). I hoped raise to install
> GRASS, but Linux (Mandrake 9.1)
> konsole said to me it required some libraries:
> -gdal< =1.1.8
> -libcrypto.so.2
> -libfftw.so.2,
> -libgdal.1.1.so,
> -libgd.so.1.8,
> -libpng.so.2,
> -libssl.so.2.
>
> I've tried to install more easily making click over the .rpm file, but he
> sai to me some things:
>
> (a) The signature of the packet was wrong (the signature was made on monday
> 23.06.2003 with DSA key) - impossible to control the signature: public key
> not found; (b)I tried to carry on with installation, but it follows a
> notice telling that there was a conflict .... after they were listed the
> libraries I listed before and besides an other:     libpq.so.2 . I don't
> know what to do... i woul like to learn to utilize GRASS, but I finded very
> difficult to install it and I've found a lot to study it (in italian too),
> but nothing about installation. If could be useful, I tell you my PC is a
> PENTIUM 4, 1.7 GHZ, RAM=640 Mb. Perhaps difficulties  depend I'm a Linux
> beginner too... I hope anyone can tell me anything about it.. after it
> looks to me not so difficult to learn how to use GRASS. Greetings to all
> you of GISGRASS list.
>
> Luca, from Italy

Hi Luca, list:

at the risk of overstating the obvious, and as a new linux/grass user myself, th emost important thing I learned while installing GRASS (from sources, but applies to all installs) is to make sure you have all the requirements.

which are listed at:

http://grass.itc.it/grass5/source/REQUIREMENTS.html

trust me, get the requirements or check if you already have them (for rpms: rpm -q nameofpackage
from shell will tell you if you have the packages). Dont forget that the required programs for grass may themselves need other programs (dependencies).

good luck

--
k|J|f