[GRASSLIST:599] Re: Understanding why r.flow gives me bad results.

David Finlayson dfinlays at u.washington.edu
Thu Jul 3 14:42:14 EDT 2003

Your DEM may have little pits (closed basins) that stop drainage.
Usually, these pits are artifacts of the DEM so you can use a program
like r.fill.dir to "fill" the pits and created a "filled" dem.

Use the "filled" dem in r.flow and see if the results are better. r.flow
is pretty picky about flat areas (see the notes in the manual).  You may
have better luck with r.watershed and r.terraflow for extracting the
river networks.

David Finlayson

Antonio G. - Geotronix wrote:

--
David Finlayson
School of Oceanography

Office: Marine Sciences Building, Room 112
Phone: (206) 616-9407
Web: http://students.washington.edu/dfinlays