[GRASSLIST:395] Re: vmap

Hal Mueller hal at mobilegeographics.com
Sun Jun 15 18:33:07 EDT 2003

I use FME, from Safe Software (http://www.safe.com/) to read
VMAP/DCW, do some intermediate processing (in my case de-tiling,
dissolving, and aggressive thinning).  I then write it out in E00
format, and use m.in.e00 to get the data into Grass.  Back in the bad
old days of early Grass 5 betas I had no end of trouble producing
something that Grass could read; I tried Shapefile, Generate,
Mapinfo, and E00 formats, and finally settled on E00.
http://www.safe.com/products/fme/formats/index.php lists the formats
that FME can read/write.

You would need the Professional Edition of FME to mimic this
dataflow; that version is $2000 for a Windows license.  However,
given your institution I think there must be a copy of it floating
around somewhere.  Alternatively you could probably get your
conversion done using a free demo license.

You're welcome to my scripts (for FME Workbench, their graphical
programming interface), but I can't offer support for them.  I'm
kinda swamped right now, but if the Grass cabal is interested maybe I
could contribute some Grass-format versions of some of the DCW layers.

--
----
Hal Mueller                hal at mobilegeographics.com
Mobile Geographics LLC     http://www.mobilegeographics.com/
Seattle, Washington        (206) 297-9575
Get MapTap for PalmOS:  http://www.mobilegeographics.com/maptap/