[GRASSLIST:394] vmap

Ian Macmillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Sun Jun 15 17:42:31 EDT 2003

Hi all, this seems like it must be an easy problem to solve, but I am struggling
with it.  I would like to use the Digital Chart of the World data from NIMA
(National Imagery and Mapping Agency).  However I am at a loss as to how to
import this data into GRASS.  I downloaded the North America data from the NIMA
website, but I get a folder that has lots of subfiles, and I am not sure which
ones to work with.  The data is supposed to be in VPF (some department of
defense thing) format, but I am not clear how to use it.   I couldn't find
anything in the manual, book, or mailing list archives. Specifically all I want
is a map with just political boundaries of the world.  Anybody worked with this
data before?  I know that GISdatadepot.com has arcinfo vector data for each
country, but as there are hundreds of countries, this would be tedious to
download and also import.  Thanks for any input.

-Ian