[GRASSLIST:434] Cygwin Performance vs. Linux

David Finlayson dfinlays at u.washington.edu
Thu Jun 19 14:36:19 EDT 2003

Has anyone benchmarked WinGrass against a Linux version on the same or
similar hardware?

Background...

I have several GIS workstations that I use in my research but the top
end machines (> 2Ghz) typically run Windows as most of the really
expensive software I use is Windows specific.

I have two GNU/Linux machines that I use for file serving and
experimenting as well as running Unix programs that have no good windows
port like MB System for multi-beam sonar processing.

I recently tried Libranet on my fastest Linux machine (500 Mhz) and
really like the distribution overall, but it has managed to seriously
break several development packages required for building grass (like the
tk headers of all things!? )  While I was working on this problem, I
experimented with WinGrass.  It seems to be a little buggy right now and
probably lags behind in developer attention relative to Linux, but
overall quite usable.  It feels a bit slugish to me though.

My question is this: am I better off running the cygwin version of grass
on the hot Windows machines, or running it on the slower Linux machine
(and loosing that cool Libranet desktop in the process)?

--
David Finlayson
School of Oceanography

Office: Marine Sciences Building, Room 112
Phone: (206) 616-9407
Web: http://students.washington.edu/dfinlays