[GRASSLIST:500] Re: Shipping data with GNU/Linux distributions

Luis E Menoyo lemenoyo at usgs.gov
Tue Jun 24 13:24:52 EDT 2003

I tend to agree.  I also found creating a Location a dounting task for a
biginner and ran into difficulties figuring out how to import data.  In
part that was because the Spearfish tutorial misses how to import a data
set.  I was left with figuring it  out on my own.  My first breakthru in
importing data was using USGS SDTS DLG data sets.

I'm planning a short GRASS GIS hands-on intro here in Honolulu.  I was
thinking of using a native GRASS data set, but also walking people thru
the process of importing SDTS data.   Although having the Spearfish data
set on the GNU/Linux distribution would be a definite plus, I would
recommentd some easily importable data to go with it.  Once a biginner
learns that by importing a data set he/she can re-map the location
information in GRASS to the data set's georeferencing information, the
road ahead becomes a whole lot smoother.

Although I'm presently working on providing USGS DLG GRASS-native data
sets of the Hawaiian islands, the importance of people learning how to
import their own data sets can not be understated.

"# Sets domain part of From: and local addresses in outgoing mail."
<gacp at d-konstruktors.org>
Sent by: owner-GRASSLIST at baylor.edu
06/24/03 02:32 AM