[GRASSLIST:502] Re: Shipping data with GNU/Linux distributions

Hal Mueller hal at mobilegeographics.com
Tue Jun 24 14:53:10 EDT 2003

As it happens I've had some off-list conversations with Markus about
this topic in the last week or two.  What I'm beginning to work on is
to prepare some excerpts of the Digital Chart of the World (NIMA
VMAP) in Grass format.  The aim is to provide a general-purpose
global vector dataset that anyone can use immediately as a starter.

Let me ask the community in general:  what layers would you most like
to see?  Country boundaries and continents would rank high,
obviously.  But what else?  Roads?  Airports?  City locations?
Railroads?  Rivers/streams/lakes?

Reply to the list, please, so we can keep the discussion going.