[GRASSLIST:5722] New grass user - cant add new location

Hawken, Iona IHawken at nybg.org
Mon Mar 3 15:18:58 EST 2003

I am very new to all this. I just installed Grass version 5, and started the
program, typed in the command "grass5," which opened up Wish, with either
the option to use the existing location or add a new location. When I
clicked on "Add Location" the Wish program immediately shut down, and I got
the following errors:

: command not foundtc/Init.sh:
: command not foundtc/Init.sh:
: command not foundtc/Init.sh:
: command not foundtc/Init.sh:
: command not foundtc/Init.sh:
: command not foundtc/Init.sh:
ERROR: Invalid return code from gis_set.tcl.
Please advise GRASS developers of this error.
ERROR: LOCATION_NAME not set
/usr/local/grass5/etc/Init.sh: GISDBASE: parameter null or not set

then if I shut down Grass, and restart it, and try to start Grass again
("Grass5) I get these errors:

Starting GRASS ...
Error in startup script: can't read "env_location": no such variable
    while executing
"set location $env_location"
    (procedure "searchGISRC" line 23)
    invoked from within
"searchGISRC $gisrc_name"
    (file "/usr/local/grass5/tcltkgrass/script/gis_set.tcl" line 1)
ERROR: LOCATION_NAME not set
/usr/local/grass5/etc/Init.sh: GISDBASE: parameter null or not set

The only way to start Grass again is then to re-install it. I need to add a
new location in order to set the region, and I am very confused about what
to do. Also, when I clicked on "use existing location" it worked, and I
could add data from the pre-installed Grass location.

Thanks for any help
iona

Iona Fairlight Hawken
Institute of Economic Botany