[GRASSLIST:5813] Re: Calculate fetch or rotate raster

David Finlayson dfinlays at u.washington.edu
Thu Mar 20 10:40:02 EST 2003

Thanks for your help.  I am interested in hearing more about your
GRASS/SWAN workflow.  We are looking into SWAN for future wave modeling.

I have written a Python script to dump the raster to ascii (r.out.arc),
and calculate fetches according to the Shore Protection Manual.
Unfortunately, there is a cost to dumping the grid and then loading it
again into Python, and an even greater cost in my rotation algorithm.  My
code runs very slowly on larger grids.  (Warning: geologist programming!)

I wonder if it would be difficult to bind Python to the C library of
Grass?  If that were successful, we could build a simplified object model
for efficient scripting directly on the grass databases.

--
David Finlayson
University of Washington

http://students.washington.edu/dfinlays