[GRASSLIST:5929] Re: libtiff.a versus libtiff.dylib (MAC OS X)

Scott Metker smetker at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 31 13:20:41 EST 2003

Actually, I've tried compiling the latest version of libtiff using the
following process:
(1) unpack tar
(2) goto main directory, "sudo make configure"
(3) sudo make install

Unfortunately, this still drops a libtiff.a file in /usr/local/lib.  Grass
still requires libtiff.dylib.  When I copy the libtiff.a file to
libtiff.dylib and run r.out.tiff in grass, I'm greeted with the following:

"dyld: r.out.tiff malformed library: libtiff.dylib (not a Mach-0 file, bad
magic number
Trace/BPT trap"

So, I'm guessing that the difference between a .a and .dylib library in the
mac world is more than just the filename... any ideas?