[GRASSLIST:5931] Re: libtiff.a versus libtiff.dylib (MAC OS X)

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Mon Mar 31 17:04:16 EST 2003

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 01:20:41PM -0500, Scott Metker wrote:
> >> When I copy libtiff.a to libtiff.dylib (just a goofy experiment),
> >> it finds the file, but gives me a "bad checksum / bad magic number"
> >> error for the file.  I'm assuming that items with the dylib
> >> extension need to be specially built...
> >>
> >> Anyone know where I can get a mac version of this file?  Help!

I don't know anything about OS X, but a *.a archive library is different
from a dynamic library (*.so, *.dll, *.dynlib) in the way they are
built.  You can't just rename one to the other.  The libtiff makefiles
should have a shared library target ("make shared", or some such).

--
echo ">gra.fcw at 2ztr< eryyvZ .T pveR" | rot13 | reverse