[GRASSLIST:6203] Re: raster error on r.in.gdal

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed May 7 15:11:16 EDT 2003

Kirk R. Wythers wrote:

> I am slowly working through a series of errors as I try and get a raster
> file imported and displayed in grass. Now that I have the gdal library
> installed (I used r.in.gdal -o input=/home/kwythers/tmp/DRG1644.TIF
> output=drg1644, to read this in) I am on the next error:
>
> Warning 1: /home/kwythers/tmp/DRG1644.TIF:wrong data type 2 for
> "GeoKeyDirectory"; tag ignored
> WARNING: G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for North
>
> Does this mean that I incorrectly specified the coordinates for the
> location?

Probably not; this is a known problem with importing rasters into
Lat/Lon locations.

When importing rasters which lack georeferencing information, import
utilities normally position the lower-left corner at the origin of the
location's coordinate system, and use a resolution of one unit to one
cell. For projected coordinates (units of feet or metres), this works
fine; for Lat/Lon (units of degrees), this puts the top of the raster
above 90N, which isn't allowed.

As a workaround, you can use g.setproj to change the projection to
X-Y, import the raster, set the raster's boundaries, then change the
projection back again.