[GRASSLIST:6208] Solaris 9 Build Problems

Ade Fewings ade at informatics.bangor.ac.uk
Thu May 8 07:05:52 EDT 2003

Hi,

It is highly possible [indeed likely] that i'm doing something silly,
but i'm having trouble building Grass on a Solaris 9 Sparc box.  I have
installed the required packages having built them with GCC3.2.2.
Everything is in /usr/local/....

The problem i have is with the configure script.  It all looks good
until the following happens.....

checking whether to use JPEG... yes
checking for location of JPEG includes...
checking for jpeglib.h... yes
checking for location of JPEG library...
checking for jpeg_start_compress in -ljpeg... yes
checking if we should build directly against GDAL... no
checking whether to use TIFF... yes
checking for location of TIFF includes...
checking for tiffio.h... yes
checking for location of JPEG library...
checking for TIFFOpen in -ltiff... no
checking for TIFFOpen in -ltiff... yes
checking whether to use PNG... yes
checking for location of PNG includes...
checking for png.h... yes
checking for location of PNG library...
checking for png_read_image in -lpng... yes
checking whether to use GD... yes
checking for location of GD includes...
checking for gd.h... yes
checking for location of GD library...
checking for gdImagePng in -lgd... no
[...]
checking for gdImageGif in -lgd... no
configure: error: *** Unable to locate GD library.
#

I have successfully built and installed the latest version of libpng and
the lib files are in /usr/local/lib and the headers are in
/usr/local/include.  Can anybody help with this output from the
configure script?

Thanks in advance
Ade
Adrian [Ade] Fewings MEng

Distributed & High Performance Computing, Informatics, UWB
Dean Street, Bangor, Gwynedd. LL57 1UT. UK.

ade at informatics.bangor.ac.uk  www.informatics.bangor.ac.uk/~ade

Tel: +44 (0)1248 382736       Fax: +44 (0)1248 361429

'The ideal engineer is a composite ... He is not a scientist, he
is not a mathematician, he is not a sociologist or a writer; but
he may use the knowledge and techniques of any or all of these
disciplines in solving engineering problems.'
     N. W. Dougherty, 1955