[GRASSLIST:3] libpq-fe.h ???

Miha STAUT mihastaut at hotmail.com
Sun May 11 15:40:49 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I tried to install the Rdbi_0.1-2.tar.gz and Rdbi.PgSQL_0.1-2 package. The
Rdbi_0.1-2.tar.gz installed fine but the Rdbi.PgSQL_0.1-2 had some problems.
The compilation routine tried to  find a header called libpq-fe.h but did
not find it in the standard locations. I searched through the computer but
did not find a file called in this way either. What should I do to
successuffly install this package? In the Netleters introduction to R/GRASS
interface there is  no mention about this problems.

The PostgreSQL_7.2.1 Users guide states: "Frontend programs that use libpq
must include the header file libpq-fe.h and must link with the libpq
library." Is Libpq a package that can be downloaded and how should I create
this header and make a link to it?

I use R 1.6.2.1 and PostgreSQL 7.2 with RedHat 7.3.

[root at localhost pack]# R CMD INSTALL Rdbi.PgSQL_0.1-2.tar.gz
* Installing *source* package 'Rdbi.PgSQL' ...
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for PQconnectdb in -lpq... yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for /usr/include/libpq-fe.h... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for /usr/include/pgsql/libpq-fe.h... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for /usr/include/postgresql/libpq-fe.h... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for /usr/local/include/libpq-fe.h... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for /usr/local/include/pgsql/libpq-fe.h... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for /usr/local/include/postgresql/libpq-fe.h... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for /opt/include/libpq-fe.h... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for /opt/include/pgsql/libpq-fe.h... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for /opt/include/postgresql/libpq-fe.h... no

I could not find your PostgreSQL client headers!
Use --with-pgsql-includes=PATH; if running R's INSTALL,
use --configure-args='--with-pgsql-includes=PATH'; or
set PG_INCLUDE_DIR in your environment to the library path,
and rerun the configure/install.

ERROR: configuration failed for package 'Rdbi.PgSQL'

Thanks for suggestions, Miha Staut