[GRASSLIST:18] Re: NVIZ error on Cygwin

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed May 14 19:14:58 EDT 2003

Miha STAUT wrote:

> I tried to install to a friend the Cygwin version of Grass. Everything works
> fine except NVIZ that fails with this error.
>
> This application has failed to start because cygtcl80.dll was not found.

Your NVIZ binary ($GISBASE/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2.exe) is broken; it
was built using Cygwin's Tcl/Tk, which won't work.

If you obtained a binary package, please report it as a bug to whoever
provided the package. If you're building GRASS yourself, getting NVIZ
built correctly is non-trivial.

NVIZ requires a Unix/X11 version of Tcl/Tk (a binary version for
Cygwin should be available from the GRASS site), and a Unix/X11
version of OpenGL. Also, you need an X server (e.g. XFree86; I'm told
that MI/X doesn't work) in order to run it.

Just to re-iterate, neither the Cygwin nor native Windows versions of
Tcl/Tk or OpenGL are suitable for building or running NVIZ. The
easiest way to prevent any problems is to uninstall the corresponding
Cygwin packages before starting to build GRASS.