[GRASSLIST:13] Re: Solaris 9 Build Problems

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed May 14 18:55:07 EDT 2003

Bill Sneed wrote:

> > checking for gdImagePng in -lgd... no
> > checking for gdImageGif in -lgd... no
> > configure: error: *** Unable to locate GD library.
> > #
> >
> > I have successfully built and installed the latest version of libpng and
> > the lib files are in /usr/local/lib and the headers are in
> > /usr/local/include.  Can anybody help with this output from the
> > configure script?
>
> The most obvious question is: Have you installed the GD library? If you
> have, did you install it from the the Auxillary Software that came with
> Solaris9?  I've found that a lot of the "linux" software included by Sun
> on the Installation DVDs goes into odd places -- places you'd never
> think to look on a Intel/Linux setup....I'm new to Solaris so I'm using
> the "find" command a lot!

In private email, he confirmed that he did have GD, and subsequently
provided the errors from config.log:

configure:6465: gcc -o conftest -g -O2     conftest.c -lgd   1>&5
Undefined			first referenced
 symbol  			    in file
libiconv                            /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/3.2.2/../../../libgd.so
libiconv_open                       /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/3.2.2/../../../libgd.so
libiconv_close                      /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/3.2.2/../../../libgd.so

This indicates that his GD library has unexpected[1] dependencies.

[1] The way that configure determines dependencies is by iterating
through a list of plausible candidates. The library which presumably
provides these functions isn't among those which are tried when
checking for GD (the exact list is all 32 possible combinations of
Xpm, FreeType, JPEG, PNG and libm).

Unfortunately I don't know which library provides these functions.
libiconv is a possibility, but on most systems which have a separate
libiconv, it provides iconv() itself, whereas Ade's config.log
indicates that iconv() was detected without the need for any
additional libraries (i.e. it's in libc, as is the case for Linux).