[GRASSLIST:100] Re: Considering replacing ESRI

Andrew selkiesdad at comp10680.potsdam.edu
Wed May 21 07:58:52 EDT 2003

I am a self-taught, non-geology/geography person (physics is my
"trade"). I began learning GIS from the ground up without guidance in
1995 to assist a Geology Prof in the school where I was an adjunct. I
have used IDRISI, Xmap8, Grass, ArcView/ArcGIS and a lot of associated
tools and have had considerable time and opportunity to onsider the
"commercial package" option. It is ALWAYS possible to provide the
functionality you need, but you have to understand the techniques
well-enough to evaluste the outcomes. You also need a scripter or coder
around who can do the conversions and batching, etc, that are inevitable
when the tools) available don't quite do what you want.

ESRI is analogous to Microsoft if GIS suites are regarded as spatial
data OS's. It was created with huge investments of time and energy
according to a single philosophy of analysis in an effort to provide a
single modular interface for this kind of work. How much of Windows,
Office, etc do you really take advantage of when you purchase the latest
and greatest version (simply to remain "current", whatever that means
with software versioning/patching).?

When you know what you need and you know what is available you can work
(almost) for free.