[GRASSLIST:103] Re: Considering replacing ESRI

Alexander Pucher pucher at atlas.gis.univie.ac.at
Wed May 21 10:12:56 EDT 2003

Absolutely right,

Many people think like 'GIS = ESRI', like 'Red Hat = Linux' or 'Database
= Oracle'.
The point is to understand the principles and objectives of GIS, not
ArcInfo or GRASS. If you know what to do, pick the tool you prefer!

In my field of interest - GIS-enhanced webmapping - a combined framework
of GRASS/PostGIS/UMN MapServer does a perfect job.

Evaluate your prerequisits and needs to the system. Keep asking
questions in the various OpenSource GIS/mapping mailinglists on required
features and if they exist. You will see that  (nearly) everything is
available. Only the approach is different to a major application
framework like the ESRI suite with all its components. With  the
available OpenSource tools, you don't get the  single
,"Microsoft/Word"-style like GUI to work with. Still what count is the
outcome, not the nice buttons :-)

I still ask myself, what can ArcInfo do for me that GRASS can't, what
can Oracle Spatial do for me that PostGIS can't, what can ArcIMS do for
me that the UMN MapServer can't? And if I recognise some features, is it
really worth the price?

regards,
alex.

Departement of Geography and Regional Research
University of Vienna
Cartography and GIS
Virtual Map Forum: http://www.gis.univie.ac.at/vmf