[GRASSLIST:106] Re: Considering replacing ESRI

Richard Greenwood Rich at GreenwoodMap.com
Wed May 21 11:29:46 EDT 2003

I think you might be posing your question to the wrong audience. You should
ask your GIS users if they would like to change, because without their
interest and commitment you are not likely to see success. ESRI has
developed an incredible degree of loyalty in their users. For those users,
suggesting a change, even for the better, may not be popular.

Rich

At 05:07 AM 5/21/2003 -0600, you wrote:

>Folks,
>
>         First of all I need to let you know that I am not currently
> working in the
>         GIS field.  I do however support the Unix systems that are
> currently used
>         by the people in our GIS area.
>
>         I certainly don't understand the complexities of our GIS area but
> I can
>         see that we have a huge investment in ESRI products:
>
>         ArcInfo
>         ArcView
>         ArcSDE
>         ArcIMS
>
>         These products are tied to an Oracle backend.
>
>         My question is this:  Is GRASS able to replace any of the above
> listed products
>         and if so has anyone ever made this type of move in the past.  I
> can see
>         huge cost savings here if it is possible.
>
>         I would appreciate any feedback.  I am trying to determine if it is
>         worthwhile for me to explore Open Source alternatives for our GIS
> area so
>         if anyone can offer some insight it would really help me out.
>
>Thanks.
>
>--
>CJR

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS