[GRASSLIST:125] Re: GRASS/postgresql

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed May 21 19:58:17 EDT 2003

Michael Ash wrote:

> I am sorry that I have been such a source of annoying
> inquiry today.
>
> I found an answer to the GRASS/postgresql problem that I
> just posted.  (The binary of 5.0.2 wants libpq.so.2 and my
> system has libpq.so.3 but not libpq.so.2)
>
> The solution is based on the archived email reprinted below.
>
> 1. I made sure that /etc/ld.so.conf includes the nonstandard
> location of the pgsql libraries: /usr/local/pgsql/lib and
> that I had run ldconfig after making the addition.
>
> 2. I created a symbolic link link of /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.2 for /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so, i.e
>
> ln -s /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.2
>
> which seems to have done the trick.  (Please let me know if
> there is anything dangerous about this "fix.")

If the major version is changed, it is done because the new version is
incompatible with previous versions in some regard.

However, the incompatibility might simply be due to the addition of
new features. In that case, programs which were built for the new
version won't work with the old version, but programs which were built
for the old version will work with the new version.

OTOH, it may be that existing functionality has been changed. In that
case, using the new version with a program which was built for the old
version will have unpredictable (and probably undesirable)
consequences *if* the program uses the functionality which has been
changed.

If the documentation doesn't explicitly state which of the above
situations is true, there isn't any way to tell.