[GRASSLIST:141] Re: Considering replacing ESRI

David Finlayson dfinlays at u.washington.edu
Thu May 22 15:48:42 EDT 2003

That is similar to what I eventually did, though I hesitate to admit
that I dumped the grid from Grass, did the rotation in ArcInfo and then
brought it back into Grass for my final processing.

The problem with this approach is that my program can only be ported to
another user if they have all of the dependent programs (ArcInfo in this
case, or the Gimp, or Image magic etc).

I think that this is the unspoken down side to the Unix paradigm.  You
wind up with this spaghetti of dependencies that make it impossible to
hand a script over to a buddy on their machine.

It would be better if I learned enough C to get my rotation program
added to Grass.  Or better yet, write a Python interface to the C API so
that I could read and write to the rasters directly from Python!

Cheers,

David Finlayson

--
David Finlayson
School of Oceanography

Office: Marine Sciences Building, Room 112
Phone: (206) 616-9407
Web: http://students.washington.edu/dfinlays