[GRASSLIST:183] Re: Considering replacing ESRI

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Sun May 25 20:27:25 EDT 2003

John,

As a slightly opposing view (and obviously many of your points about
ARCView & MapInfo are well taken), I wanted to save myself time
compiling & setup and took the OpenOSX route on a Mac and have not
experienced the installation problems you have alluded to on Linux. In
fact, I have not had any problems at all.

The bottom line, is that one size does not fit all. As you point out, in
the "right shop" GRASS is a great alternative to commercial products,
depending on what one is trying to achieve. Going the commercial route
can be quite expensive - it's a matter of choosing one's poison, I suppose.

I use all of these programs at work, but I can continue to work at home
with GRASS.

Tom

--
Thomas E Adams