[GRASSLIST:192] Re: Considering replacing ESRI

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Mon May 26 11:53:01 EDT 2003

John Doucette wrote:
> If you have a genuine linux/unix/C++ genuis in your shop you probably
don't
> need to read further.
>
> If you don't -  I would say the number one reason to stick with ESRI (or
> Mapinfo ...) is that Grass is just too damn hard to set up and learn.

Depends on how you choose to do it. Install Mandrake 9.1 (either
download edition and add a contrib urpmi source, or use 9.1 Powerpack),
and you can install grass from the software manager, or if you prefer urpmi:

# urpmi grass

(this will give you 5.0.0, but 5.0.2 is in cooker, or you can get RPMs
of 5.0.2 for 9.1 on my site).

Wait a few seconds for the menus to update, and you will find grass in
Applications->Sciences->Geosciences. Unfortunately you will see a
console interface the first time you start it up, but subsequent starts
(after you have a region setup) will give you a giu prompt to choose
your region).

> First let me say that I love the idea of open-source.  And that I am not
> giving up on getting Grass going for me.
>
> Watch this group for a while and see how large of a proportion of the
> messages are pleas for help installing Grass.  Contrast that to setting up
> ArcView ...

Sorry, but I can have grass installed in less time than it would take to
find someone who will sell me ArcView ... and that includes installation
of Mandrake 9.1 ...

> I ordered the CD version of Grass because I thought I could avoid time
> downloading and maybe make installation easier.  Well the installation I
> have done to date has not been easy, has required much time searching the
> web for help, and pouring through Linux manuals and the poorly written man
> pages that are really good at listing command options but uniformly
fail to
> give examples of how to use the commands and options, and chasing down
> dependancies, setting up symbolic links, and decyphering archane error
> messages.

Next time, try Mandrake 9.0 or later.

> As I said at the beginning - If you have access to very highly qualified
> computer support personnel, and in addition if you can find someone to
teach
> your people how to use Grass - then no worries.  But if you don't have
these
> things your people will be turning out null product for a very long time
> before proficiency sets in.

It's the same with any new software though ... open-source or not,
people still have to learn how to use the product. Installation of grass
is only difficult for people who want choose to do it the difficult way.

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202