[GRASSLIST:198] rotation

David Strauch dstrauch at mac.com
Mon May 26 15:27:59 EDT 2003

Hello all,

I wrote last week asking if there wasn't a way to rotate maps in grass,
partly as a way to save processing time.  I'd like to thank those who
responded, who have given me much to think about.

Masking seems like an excellent way to reduce the computation time.
Can it be used for vectors as well as rasters?

I still work primarily with vectors, perhaps because I initially
started doing GIS work in the ArcInfo environment.  They have seemed
intuitively more elegant and efficient to me (and more independent of
scale, as someone pointed out), but I have lately been starting to
question this prejudice...

If I shift to rasters I may try David Finlayson's rotation script or
Morten Hulden's solution of exporting, rotating and reimporting into a
new location (I'm assuming this could be done somehow without losing
attributes).  Or it may be that vector endpoints could be converted to
sites and rotated, converted back to vector endpoints and rebuilt into
vectors.

But I'm still importing various coverages and it seems potentially
cumbersome to do this process for each one -- especially if I later
want to readjust the orientation.  I suppose I was hoping that I could
create new locations that had different orientations, and be able to
reproject coverages (including vectors) into these locations.  It would
be nice to do this while working (ie with geo-referencing available),
but it looks like (the way regions are defined) at this point map
rotation will have to wait until I'm ready to print stuff out.

Again, thanks all,
David