[GRASSLIST:199] raster vs. vector

Antonios Christofides A.Christofides at itia.ntua.gr
Mon May 26 16:15:31 EDT 2003

I've read here at there that GRASS is particularly good at raster, and
people wondering whether they should use raster or vector. I'm a GRASS
and GIS newbie, and I'm confused: I thought that whether you use raster
or vector depends on the type of the data, not your preferences. I
thought that the DEM would be raster, and that roads and streams would
be vector. Do you mean I can represent roads in raster? How the heck?
They'll be collections of points, not lines, and I won't be able to
specify the width I want with ps.map.

What exactly do I not get?