[GRASSLIST:261] using grass from within php

Stephan Holl sholl at gmx.net
Fri May 30 09:45:05 EDT 2003

Dear Grasslist,
after some struggeling with permissions I made GRASS and mapserver
working together with php.

apache user/group:  wwwrun/nogroup
apache-home: /var/lib/wwwrun
GISDBASE: /var/lib/wwwrun/grassdata
LOCATION: spearfish
MAPSET: PERMANENT

But some strange things happened and some questions are still present:
mapserver needs .grassrc5 in $DOCUMENT_ROOT of apache (here:
/srv/www/htdocs) where Location/mapset are set (pointing to
/var/lib/wwwrun/grassdata)
But when executing the scripts, grass (started through apache as user
wwwrun) claims about a /.grassrc5 and an /.gislock5 in /-Directory.
How could this be?
The .grassrc5 in /var/lib/wwwrun is completely ignored.
When I create /.gislock5 and /.grassrc5 in /-Directory, grass works as
espected and all commands are passed through grass.
But some error-messages are still printed in error.log, which I am not
able to solve....
<errors>
rm: cannot remove `/.gislock5': Permission denied
/daten/software/grass/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/etc/Init.sh: line 273:
/.grassrc5.3365: Permission denied
/daten/software/grass/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/etc/Init.sh: line 274:
/.grassrc5.3365: Permission denied
mv: cannot stat `/.grassrc5.3365': No such file or directory
sh: line 1: cd: HOME not set
ERROR: LOCATION_NAME not set
No value for $TERM and no -T specified
</errors>