[GRASSLIST:1709] CE characters and vector colours

Miha STAUT mihastaut at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 8 17:32:57 EST 2003

Hi again,

Last nihgt I had to plot some text labels on a map. The problem was that my
labels contained also Central Europan characters which did not plot at all.
I am sure there exists a solution to this problem.

Other question (probably alredy answered).

How would I colour a map of area vectors based on the values of the areas. I
am searching a more automated approach than manually setting the R:G:B in a
special file. Something like r.colors would be nice for depicting vector
quantitative data. A fine command would also be to directly color a vector
based on values from different columns in a database. The new d.vect in
GRASS 5.7 has extensive capabilities, but I did not understand most of it.
Now I am still at the following procedure:
1. v.reclass.pg in=old.map out=new.map
2. v.report > cat
3. edit the file cat so that only the cats remain
4. import into R and create a nice r:g:b sequence of colours
5. export the data frame into a legend file
6. d.vect.area newmap legend

How would I shorten the procedure?

Thanks for your patience, Miha Staut