[GRASSLIST:1727] Re: successful OSX10.3 build with caveats

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Nov 10 16:05:54 EST 2003

Byron Amerson wrote:

> I have successfully built grass5.0.2 on my imac running osx 10.3.
>
> the last lines of the make output I paste below to ask if there is a way
> that I can patch or build the components that did not get compiled.  I
> also  am curious to know if any of these broken bits are integral to a
> reasonably fully functional build of grass?

> I compiled without dbm because
> no matter what, compile could not see my gdbm.dylib even though it was
> there plain as day.

Nothing uses DBM; the checks were added because one of the developers
was planning to use it for something, but nothing ever came of that.
The checks have been removed from 5.3.

> I also built without GLw and NLS, cause I could not
> find any info about what they were and did not know how to proceed with
> them.

GLw is an OpenGL drawing area widget, and is only required for
r3.showdspf.openGL.

NLS stands for Native Language Support; if enabled, certain parts of
GRASS (specifically: libgis, libraster, tcltkgrass, the startup code
and the PostgreSQL modules) to use message catalogues to display text
in languages other than English (currently, only Russian catalogues
are available).

IOW, neither of those are particularly important.

> Gdal is built without python or odbc support.
>
> any insights or tips would be great.  Thanks

> Compilation error in module: src/general/g.region (ignored)

> Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.mapcalc3 (ignored)

Bot of these are important; a GRASS package which doesn't have these
modules isn't likely to be of much use. The r.mapcalc3 error may be
related to readline; did you use --with-readline? (if so, try again
without it; that feature has been problematic).

> Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.proj (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/mapdev/v.proj (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/sites/s.proj (ignored)

These are fairly important.

> Compilation error in module: src/mapdev/v.digit (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/mapdev/v.in.gshhs (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/mapdev/v.mkquads (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/misc/m.proj2 (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.sun (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.sunmask (ignored)

These are less important; however, the failures are likely to be due
to the same reason as for [rsv].proj and g.region.

> Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.in.gdal (ignored)

> Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.in.doq (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/misc/m.kappa (ignored)

I suspect that these are due to a trivial bug (exit() called without
any arguments) which is fixed in 5.0.3.

> Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.tiff (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/imagery/i.points3 (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/raster/wildfire (ignored)

I can't think of any obvious cause for these, although r.tiff may be
due to issues regarding the TIFF library.

> Compilation error in module: src.garden/grass.postgresql (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src.contrib/GMSL/NVIZ2.2 (ignored)

Both of these have substantial dependencies which aren't shared with
the rest of GRASS. grass.postgresql needs the PostgreSQL headers and
client library (libpq). NVIZ needs Tcl/Tk and OpenGL, and both of
those need to be Unix/X11 versions, not "native" MacOSX (e.g. Aqua)
versions.

Apart from the r.in.doq/m.kappa bug, I can't say any more without
seeing the actual errors from the output from "make". Don't send the
complete output, just the error messages for the specific directories
listed above. Also, any errors regarding the PROJ library will likely
be repeated for each of the related modules; I only need to see one
such example.