[GRASSLIST:1827] Re: mail?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Nov 19 19:13:55 EST 2003

Ian Macmillan wrote:

> Hi all, I have an easy question for you all.  I am using mac os x (jaguar) and
> there is a message on i.ortho.photo that says the program will email when it is
> finished (I have seen other modules that say this too i think).
>
> How does one actually let the program know what your email address is?

You don't; it just runs:

	mail `whoami`

The "whoami" program outputs the username associated with the process'
effective UID, so the above command will send mail to the account
under which the program is running.

In order for this to work, you have to have a functioning "mail"
program, which implies a functioning local mail system (i.e. a system
for sending mail to accounts on the same host). This is a safe bet on
a typical Unix system, although I'm not sure about MacOSX (the kernel
may be Unix, but some other aspects are very different from a typical
Unix system).