[GRASSLIST:1900] RE: trouble with TIGER data

Ed Davison bfdi533 at cbacc-security3.bus.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 26 17:07:26 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 13:13, John Gillette wrote:
> Hello Ed,
>
> v.in.tig.basic doesn't create a cats file. v.support creates topology
> information.  Please see
> http://www.ecosconsult.com.br/grass-list/arq/8920.html
> for an example of how to create a cats file.  If you need
> more information, let me know.

Actually, that was perfect.  I did not know that the cats file did not
automatically get created and now know how to create one.  I have now
done this successfully but have another question.  I guess this is more
of a performance question now but here goes:

I have now a map layer that has 43,000+  categories and it takes over a
minute to load up the cats when I do a d.what.vect.

Is this what most people get?

Am I trying to do too much with this tiger line import cats file to
query it for street names?

Ed