[GRASSLIST:1903] Re: GRASS/GIS newbie: how to start?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Nov 26 22:52:26 EST 2003

Heiko Nardmann wrote:

> I am currently on the way to experiment with a GIS (i.e. GRASS) to get some
> feeling what it can do for me.
>
> Reading the HTML documentation I understand that first before all I have to
> start the grass program. So I created the following script to start it:

[snip]

You don't need to do any of this. Just create a directory to hold
GRASS' internal data files, then run "grass5 -text". Specify the
directory which you created on the "database" line of the startup
screen, pick a suitable name for the "location" line, and leave the
"mapset" line showing your username. Then, press Esc-Enter, and answer
the questions about the coordinate system which you wish to use.

Eventually, you should get a shell. From there, you can start
importing your data using e.g. m.in.e00.