[GRASSLIST:1426] Centres of grid cells

David Orme d.orme at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Oct 7 11:55:31 EDT 2003

Hi,

Can someone suggest an answer to this mismatch between GRASS 5.0.2 and
ArcMap 8.2?

A colleague and I are describing global distributions using a raster
grid in a Behrmann projection (CEA with latitude of true scale at 30
NS). For the purposes of converting geographic data into the grid we
want to know the geographic coordinates of the centres and boundaries
of the cells in the raster grid. More technical details below but as a
summary:

I originally worked these out in Grass:
r.to.sites - to convert the raster data to a series of sites occurring
in the centre of each cell.
s.proj - to drag the resulting sites file over into a geographic
location from the behrmann location (both of which use the wgs84
ellipsoid).
This gave me a list of lat/long values for the centres of the equal
area grid.

My colleague then did the 'same' thing in ArcMap. I don't have the
precise details but a shapefile containing square polygons (to form a
grid) was converted to point centroids and then reprojected into
geographic. Again both shapefiles use wgs84. The resulting list of
lat/long values does not match the ones resulting from GRASS.

I would expect a mismatch if the 'grid' shapefile were reprojected and
then the centroids of the transformed grids were found, but I wasn't
expecting mismatch from the reprojection of point/sites.

Thanks,
David

Some details:
The behrmann grid has a resolution (NS and EW) of 96.486268 km (it
matches to a degree at the latitude of true scale, before anyone asks!)
and has a global coverage (360 cells EW by 154 cells NS - this goes
above and below 90 degrees). The NS centres of the cells (returned by
r.to.sites) in the Behrmann projection are therefore: ((the number of
cells N or S * 96.486268) - 48.243134). To take a mismatch at the
extremes as an example, Row 2 is centred on 7188.226966 km N - s.proj
returns a site latitude of 82.48556 decimal degrees but arcmap reckons
on a longitude of 82.85535 decimal degrees. All my estimates are
correspondingly smaller than my colleagues.