[GRASSLIST:1456] Re: GRASS on OSX -

Soler Subils solersubils at telefonica.net
Thu Oct 9 06:34:22 EDT 2003

Hi,

I don't know how different the openosx's grass can be but the usual way
to start grass (when compiled from sources or downloaded already
compiled from the grass website)
from a mac is:

1-Start Apple's X11 (an xterm window appears). If any xterm appears
choose Applications:Terminal.
2-Start grass within this xterm (in my case /usr/local/bin/grass5). If
you don't know where the grass5 executable is, type "which grass5" into
the xterm and type Enter. A path is written. Use this path to start
grass.
3-Fill the fields with your data references (location, mapset,
database). If you enter a name of an inexistent location or mapset the
application helps you to create a new one. Hit"escape" and then "enter".

OPTION A
4a-Type "d.mon start=x0" + Enter to start the monitor.
5a-Type "tcltkgrass&" + Enter to get the menus.

OPTION B
4b-Type "tcltkgrass&" + Enter to get the menus.
5b-Choosse the menu Display: monitors:start:x0

That's all but if you need more info read:
	http://grass.itc.it/gdp/html_grass5/html/grass5.html
	http://grass.itc.it/gdp/html_grass5/html/d.mon.html

I hope this will help you,
Quim Soler