[GRASSLIST:1457] Re: World Renders

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Oct 9 06:26:34 EDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 08:55:19PM +0200, Matt Comb wrote:
>    I am currently programming a game that requires views of the
>    world and have been trying to find some software to render
>    views of the world.

Rendering the world is not a detailed specification,
thus it is not really possible to do an effort estimation
or recommend the best software for the task.

I'd say that some software on freegis.org can help you.
E.g. GMT (The General Mapping Tools) can do fairly good world maps
and also comes with reasonable data.
Installing this from a FreeGIS CD and using igmt to do some
world rendering is a matter of an hour or so.

Doing rendering of world maps in higher quality
can be the work of weeks including more complicated software
like GRASS for doing necessariy analysis or fitting runs.

>    Unfortunatley they are all very pricing and trying to recreate
>    something that is up to date and cheap has been the challenge.

Note that Free Software such as GRASS is not mainly about the price
of the software, but the freedom to use, study, copy and improve it.
Maps of the world will also depend on the data and the necessary quality.
As what rendering is concernd Free Software can create good quality.

>    I am wondering if anyone could help me out by batch rendering a
>    number of views of the world if I was to supply information.

My company would be able to make a priced offer for the job,
after receiving detailed specification.

>    In return they would get a mention in the games credits.

As eloborated above,
it might be problematic to find someone to commit to the work for credit only
unless they can estimate the necessary work somehow.

>    P.S. The game is a large networked game, and we don't have the cpu
>    time to render on the fly, thats why the images will be prerendered.

That sound reasonable, my best wishes for the project,
	Bernhard