[GRASSLIST:1499] RE: bearing/angle

Dan Gelinas Daniel.Gelinas at safe.com
Wed Oct 15 12:38:49 EDT 2003

Not sure if a COGO (coordinate Geometry) module is available for grass. It probably wouldn't be hard to add this to grass using c.
The manual way to calculate bearing/angle is the following:
Known information: Eastings/Northing x/y coordinates of your two points, for example, based on the first quadrant:
a = 1.5, 1.4
b = 4.1, 3.4

Distance ab is calculated:
dx = xb - xa = 4.1 - 1.5 = 2.6
dy = yb - ya = 3.4 - 1.4 = 2.0
ab = sqrt(sqr2.6 + sqr2.0) = 3.28

Azimuth (@) is calculated as such:
@AB = arc tg 2.6/2.0 = 52o26'

All other quadrants:
First Quad:   dx:+  dy:+
Second Quad:  dx:+  dy:-
third Quad:   dx:-  dy:-
Forth Quad:   dx:-  dy:+

-Daniel
Safe Software Q.A.         Safe Software Inc.               dg at safe.com
Daniel Gelinas, P.Eng.     Surrey, BC, CANADA        phone: (604) 501-9985
B. Appl. Sc. (Geomatics)  http://www.safe.com          fax: (604) 501-9965
                      Solutions for Spatial Data
                 Translation, Distribution and Access