[GRASSLIST:1617] Re: m.in.e00 woes

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Oct 31 04:55:22 EST 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 05:23:32PM -0800, Ian Macmillan wrote:
> Hi all, I am trying to import a .e00 file with m.in.e00, and it is taking
> FOREVER.  So far we are on hour eight of processor time on a dual 1 GHz G4
> powermac running GRASS 5.0.0.  The original .e00 file was only 35 Mb.  The file
> contains a series of points, with several attributes.  All i want are the
> locations of the points (essentially a simple site file without any
> categories).  The file should have ~150,000 sites.  Is there a way to speed up
> this process?  This is taking way too long.  I hope to be able to import
> several more files like this, but not if it takes over 8 hours per file.  Any
> advice would be helpful.

You could try this
AVCIMPORT - Version 1.2.0 (2000-10-17)
     Convert an Arc/Info vector coverage from E00 to binary.
     Copyright (c) 1999, 2000, Daniel Morissette (danmo at videotron.ca)
     AVCE00 web page:  http://pages.infinit.net/danmo/e00/

Usage: avcimport <input_file> <coverage_path> [<coverage_type>]

  <coverage_type> is either 'V7' (the default) to write a Unix V7.x coverage,
                  or 'PC' to write a PC/Arc coverage.

and the ogr2ogr to make it a different format.

Markus