[GRASSLIST:1210] Re: creating a desktop GIS application using GRASS

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Sep 12 04:44:06 EDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 02:22:09PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 10:53:24PM +1200, Hamish wrote:
[...]
> > If you want sample data on the live CDs, we first need to get Spearfish
> > packaged and into Debian/testing, which probably isn't that hard to do.
> > Most of the live CDs are Knoppix based which is in turn Debian based.
> > Get it into Debian, simple to put it in everything else.
>
> Spearfish probably is not enough.
>
> > Are the Spearfish maps licensed as free software according to the DFSG?
> >  http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
>
> I don't know for sure, but I hope so.

As far as I remember, I was the only one to update Spearfish
the last years (update to 5.0, doing cleanup etc). Correct me if
I am wrong (yes, Paul Kelly was helping me with the projection
file).

So the current package has been derived from the original public domain
US-Army/USGS Spearfish4.0 version.

Best,

 Markus Neteler