[GRASSLIST:1224] Re: tcltkgrass crash on startup

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Sep 12 17:52:27 EDT 2003

David Orme wrote:

> I'm getting this when I try and start up tcltkgrass from within grass
> 5.0.2 running on Mac OS 10.2.6:
>
> > GRASS 5.0.2 > tcltkgrass &
> > [1] 869
> > Mapset <dorme> in Location <global-latlong>
> > GRASS 5.0.2 > Error in startup script: xwininfo: error: No such window
> > with id 0x1847188.
> >     while executing
> > "exec xwininfo -id [winfo id .w_g] | grep -i Corners"

This suggests that you're trying to use the stock[1] tcltkgrass with
the native MacOSX version of Tcl/Tk. That won't work; the stock
tcltkgrass requires an X11 version of Tcl/Tk. OpenOSX made some
changes to tcltkgrass to get it to work with the native MacOSX Tcl/Tk,
but those changes aren't in the stock tcltkgrass.

[1] The version in the GRASS packages on grass.itc.it and its mirrors.

You will have to either:

1. Figure out how to get tcltkgrass to use the X11 version of Tcl/Tk;
if the X11 "wish" program has a different name to the native MacOSX
version, you can do this by setting GRASS_WISH accordingly. OTOH, if
they are both called e.g. "wish", then that won't work (specifying a
complete path doesn't work). Instead, you would have to change the
value of PATH so that the X11 wish comes first.

2. Locate the OpenOSX changes (IIRC, there's something on the GRASS
site, but I don't recall what), and apply them.