[GRASSLIST:1242] Re: creating a desktop GIS application using GRASS

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 16 05:26:54 EDT 2003

> > > You might have seen that we've already have GRASS on several
> > > live running CDs. The problem mainly is in the data.
> >
> > If you want sample data on the live CDs, we first need to get
> > Spearfish packaged and into Debian/testing, which probably isn't
> > that hard to do. Most of the live CDs are Knoppix based which is in
> > turn Debian based. Get it into Debian, simple to put it in
> > everything else.
>
> i don't think we'll get it in debian. currently grass in debian is
> i386 only, only due to its dimensions. it is about 1 year that large
> data sets are discuraged, waiting for the "data" distribution.

We could still package it and put the .deb up at grass.ibiblio.org, then
ask the live-CD packagers to add it manually. As at least one of the CDs
is specifically "Live GIS", so they might be willing if we asked nicely.
I think it is too much to ask them to manually merge the spearfish data
into the directory tree (or maybe that's better?).

I doubt the data will change much so the package wouldn't require much
maintenance (if any).

regards,
Hamish