[GRASSLIST:1314] Re: datum transformation and r.proj

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sat Sep 20 17:35:29 EDT 2003

JDougherty wrote:

> > > I need to reproject raster data to a different ellipsoid. Is
> > > this already supported in version 5.0.2 as the r.proj help in
> > > the online 5.0.x manual pages says, or do I need version 5.3?
> >
> > You need version >= 5.3 (CVS HEAD or snapshots) (the online
> > manual pages corresond to the 5.3.x CVS HEAD)
> >

> A question, 5.3, or 5.0.3?

5.3.

There are now 3 branches:

5.0 (CVS repository "grass", branch "releasebranch_26_april_2002_5_0_0").

5.3 (CVS repository "grass", HEAD).

5.7 (CVS repository "grass51", HEAD).

5.0 is the stable branch, from which the various 5.0.x releases are
derived. Future releases from this branch should contain only
bug-fixes or minor, backward-compatible improvements. FWIW, 5.0.3
should be released quite soon.

5.3 is the development version of 5.0. It will include anything which
is added to the 5.0 branch (although such changes will typically go
into 5.3 initially, then get merged into the 5.0 branch later), plus
some other changes which are too intrusive to go into the 5.3.x
releases (e.g. because they break backwards compatibility, or
introduce additional dependencies).

5.7 is the experimental version which was previously referred to as
"5.1". As it is unlikely that this version will become sufficiently
stable to obsolete 5.0.x in the forseeable future (i.e. the next
couple of years), it was renamed to 5.7 to allow for at least two
more complete stable releases (i.e. 5.4 and 5.6).