[GRASSLIST:1321] Re: grassrc5 problems

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sun Sep 21 19:31:15 EDT 2003

William K wrote:

> I've found two env variables in the grassrc5 file that seem to have
> problems.  One is GRASS_ADDON_PATH - it's ignored.  I looked at the
> Init.sh and I see it there-
>
> PATH=$GISBASE/bin:$GISBASE/scripts:$PATH:$GRASS_ADDON_PATH
>
> but nothing gets added to my path from grassrc5.  I have to edit the
> Init.sh to explicitly add the path I want.  Bug?  Or did I miss
> something?

GRASS_ADDON_PATH is an environment variable, not a GRASS variable;
setting it in ~/.grassrc5 won't have any effect. You would have to set
it in your shell's initialisation files (e.g. /etc/profile, ~/.profile
etc; check the manual page for your shell to determine which files are
read).

> The other is strange - GRASS_WISH.  Here's the setup:
>
> - Mac OS X.  GRASS 5.0 CVS (5.3)
> - Tcl/Tck Aqua - a Mac OS X-only version of Tcl/Tk with it's own Wish
> application, I don't/can't use this with GRASS.  Installed as Mac OS X
> framework + wish in /usr/bin
> - Apple's Tcl/Tk, doesn't include wish.  Installed in /usr.
> - Tcl/Tk I built for UNIX/X11 - this is the one I want to use.  I
> installed it in /usr/X11R6 to keep it out of the way of the others, and
> renamed wish to wish8.4, and tclsh to tclsh8.4.
>
> my PATH has both /usr/X11R6/bin and /usr/bin.
>
> So, everything is distinct - /usr/bin/wish for the Aqua Tcl/Tk, and
> /usr/X11R6/bin/wish8.4 for my X11 Tcl/Tk.  In my grassrc5 I have
> GRASS_WISH set to wish8.4.

Again, GRASS_WISH is an environment variable, not a GRASS variable.