[GRASSLIST:1325] Re: grassrc5 problems

William K woklist at charter.net
Mon Sep 22 09:28:06 EDT 2003

> GRASS_ADDON_PATH is an environment variable, not a GRASS variable;
> setting it in ~/.grassrc5 won't have any effect. You would have to set
> it in your shell's initialisation files (e.g. /etc/profile, ~/.profile
> etc; check the manual page for your shell to determine which files are
> read).

> Again, GRASS_WISH is an environment variable, not a GRASS variable.

Ah, I guess the difference wasn't clear to me.  I think part of the
problem is the docs - the page on implemented environment variables
divides the two, and mentions briefly that env aren't set in grassrc5.
But the grass5 startup doc page implies that you can set env variables
in grassrc5, and gives an example: GRASS_GUI.

And at least for GRASS_WISH, grassrc5 is used, just too late for the
select database dialog.  After startup and I have the tcltkgrass menu,
GRASS_WISH _is_ set from what I specified in grassrc5.

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at charter.net>
http://webpages.charter.net/kyngchaos/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if
you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm
50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy
RIP Douglas Adams 1952-2001