[GRASSLIST:1330] Re: grassrc5 problems

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Sep 22 18:33:38 EDT 2003

[CC'd to the developers' list.]

William K wrote:

> > GRASS_ADDON_PATH is an environment variable, not a GRASS variable;
> > setting it in ~/.grassrc5 won't have any effect. You would have to set
> > it in your shell's initialisation files (e.g. /etc/profile, ~/.profile
> > etc; check the manual page for your shell to determine which files are
> > read).
>
> > Again, GRASS_WISH is an environment variable, not a GRASS variable.
>
> Ah, I guess the difference wasn't clear to me.  I think part of the
> problem is the docs - the page on implemented environment variables
> divides the two, and mentions briefly that env aren't set in grassrc5.
> But the grass5 startup doc page

Can you provide more details as to exactly what you mean by "startup
doc page"? If it's a file, what is its name?

> implies that you can set env variables in grassrc5,

That used to be true for the various -beta versions, and for some of
the earlier -pre versions, but it isn't true in 5.0.0 or later.

> and gives an example: GRASS_GUI.

GRASS_GUI is a GRASS variable, not an environment variable.

> And at least for GRASS_WISH, grassrc5 is used, just too late for the
> select database dialog.  After startup and I have the tcltkgrass menu,
> GRASS_WISH _is_ set from what I specified in grassrc5.

OK; I see why that is happening. It's a side-effect of a shortcut
which is used in the start-up script. You shouldn't rely upon this
continuing to work in future versions. The correct mechanism is to
ensure that the variable is set in your environment before the
"grass5" script is run (e.g. via your shell's "rc" files).