[GRASSLIST:1333] Re: grassrc5 problems

William K woklist at charter.net
Tue Sep 23 00:35:26 EDT 2003

>> Ah, I guess the difference wasn't clear to me.  I think part of the
>> problem is the docs - the page on implemented environment variables
>> divides the two, and mentions briefly that env aren't set in grassrc5.
>> But the grass5 startup doc page
>
> Can you provide more details as to exactly what you mean by "startup
> doc page"? If it's a file, what is its name?

Can't seem to get to either Baylor or ITC right now to check, but it's
there in the 'grass5' man page:

ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
    User Interface Environment Variable
        The  grass5  program  will  check  for the existence of an
        environment variable called GRASS_GUI which indicates  the
        type  of user interface for GRASS to use. If this variable
        is not set when grass5 is run, then it will be created and
        then  saved  in the $HOME/.grassrc5 file for the next time
        GRASS is run.

        There is an order of precedence in the way  grass5  deter-
        mines  the  user   interface  to use. The following is the
        hierarchy from highest precedence to lowest.

        The  user  may  add   own  environment  variable  settings to
        $HOME/.grassrc5 file which are used during next startup of
        GRASS (list of implemented environment variables).

etc.

It's basically calling everything 'environment variables'.  Confusing.
I guess Markus needs to work on this one next, after he takes care of
html/env_vars.html.

>> And at least for GRASS_WISH, grassrc5 is used, just too late for the
>> select database dialog.  After startup and I have the tcltkgrass menu,
>> GRASS_WISH _is_ set from what I specified in grassrc5.
>
> OK; I see why that is happening. It's a side-effect of a shortcut
> which is used in the start-up script. You shouldn't rely upon this
> continuing to work in future versions. The correct mechanism is to
> ensure that the variable is set in your environment before the
> "grass5" script is run (e.g. via your shell's "rc" files).

Ah.

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at charter.net>
http://webpages.charter.net/kyngchaos/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect
RIP Douglas Adams 1952-2001