[GRASSLIST:1358] Re: [GRASS5] Ordered ascii vector output

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 26 00:48:34 EDT 2003

> > Hi, Can anybody tell me how I can get an ascii output of the x,y's
> > in a vector file ordered sequentially. I have a vector file that
> > contains the coast of Jamaica and I want this in a ascii file with
> > x,y's ordered so that they follow each other around the coast.
> >
> > As it is now (v.out.ascii to xxxxx) the output formats all dump
> > small line segments that are not sequential.
> >
> > Thanks (in anticipation).
>
> v.build.polylines

A more complicated alternative which I used with great success before
finding v.build.polylines is with the join_cst matlab script, available here:
http://sea-mat.whoi.edu/mapstuff-html/
(Octave should work if you don't have Matlab)

Anybody wanting coastline data can look here, the Java applet is worth
checking out:
http://rimmer.ngdc.noaa.gov/coast/

Hamish