[GRASSLIST:3153] Re: Cannot get the makefile to work

Richard Greenwood rich at greenwoodmap.com
Tue Apr 13 22:20:32 EDT 2004

Robert Holmes wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying and failing to install GRASS 5.0.3 from source code. I suspect
> I'm doing something truly dumb but I'm not sure what and I'd appreciate your
> guidance.
>
> As suggested in the installation instructions, I've created a directory (as
> root) /opt/src/grass5sources and unpacked grass-5.0.3_src.tar.gz. Changing
> to the directory grass5.0.3, I then run ./configure, which appears to run OK
> (the only error is it cannot locate TIFF includes. This is an optional
> module so I figured it should be OK).
>
> Now comes the problem - when I run make I get the response:
> 	bash: make#: command not found
> which is understandable because there isn't a Makefile in my grass5.0.3
> directory. There is a Makefile.in though, and when I run that (make -f
> Makefile.in), it only runs briefly before failing thus:
> 	@SRCDIR@/src/CMD/generic/is64bit.sh:
> @SRCDIR@/src/CMD/generic/is64bit.sh: No such file or directory
>
> What am I doing wrong? Any guidance gratefully received,
>
> Robert Holmes

Try
    ./configure --with-tiff=no
You do not have a Makefile because configure failed at the tiff option.
If configure succeeds, it will list the various options and create a
Makefile. Makefile.in is the initialization, or seed, file for configure
and is not meant to be built.

Regards,
--
Richard Greenwood