[GRASSLIST:3275] Re: tcltkgrass&

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz
Sun Apr 25 09:55:51 EDT 2004

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 02:30:53PM +0100, Mike Francis wrote:
> Hi - thanks for the reply. I still can't access the GUI though. Now the error message seems to point to a display problem. Could you tell me how I may set the display variable you mentioned in your reply? I am a very new newbie to GRASS.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

If You are sure, that You have installed the Xwindow system (and You
will get it after command "startx" in cygwin), try this:

start cygwin and write following commands:

    export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0
    XWin -multiwindow  -clipboard &

(Note the caps)
than try to start GRASS

    grass5
    d.mon x0
    tcltkgrass &

I suppose, that You have read the e-mail from Richard Greenwood:

> Be sure that you are using the GRASS specific version of Tcl/Tk, not the
> Cygwin version. If you have installed the Cygwin Tcl/Tk, uninstall it
> and then get xtcltk-8.3.4-CYGWIN.tar.gz from:
> http://grass.itc.it/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/wingrass_xserver/
> and unpack it in the root of your Cygwin installation (e.g.
> C:/Cygwin/)."

You can find more at

http://grass.itc.it/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/cygwin_grass50bininstall.html

Jáchym